Thursday, August 09, 2007

One Step Closer to an iMac

When I upgraded my PC just before Christmas I was seriously considering getting an iMac.

I love Apple's design and how they integrate a lot of cool software into their systems... but as I spend most of my time coding for PC I decided to go for a Windows machine. I did some research into Bootcamp and it seemed like a lot of effort at that stage to make it work (I think it was still in Beta).

But now the new iMacs are out and they look damn sexy (and I believe Bootcamp is out of Beta) so I'll definitely be making the switch when I upgrade again. Of course by then the iMac will be even thinner and have way more cool stuff.

In other news, my boxed copy of Flash CS3 Professional arrived yesterday - and just in time as the free demo version was about to expire. Working through my tutorials I've so far managed to write a simple breakout game and a small space invader clone. It takes a bit to get your head around the concept of movies and timelines, but it's quite powerful and easy to use.

I just wish ActionScript had a better error checking system - it's painful to have a variable called enemyTimer in your code only to mistype it as enemytimer and not have the compiler pick it up. The game will run but won't work as you expect. So you have to be very, very careful. If anyone knows of a way to get around this please let me know!

www.passfieldgames.com

1 comment:

RanFlash said...

I'm a big fan of Flash, although my extremely limited abilities have only allowed me to create animated birthay cards with it to date.

Good luck!